Edwin Soi takes his second consecutive victory at the Giro Al Sas (Giancarlo Colombo) © Copyright
Soi defends title at Giro Al Sas
Soi, who clocked 28:45.9 over the multi-loop course, defeated Wilson Businiei of Uganda by nearly two seconds to become only the second man to ever win back-to-back titles at this race which this year celebrated its 64th edition. Another Kenyan, Moses Mosop, took consecutive victories in 2007 and 2008.
Soi, running behind the leaders, made his move over the final loop with about 700 metres remaining. Upping the tempo, only Busienei managed to respond but Soi was stronger in the sprint.
Sergey Lebid, Ukraine's eight-time European Cross Country champion, finished third in 28:48.3 to round out the podium.
Stefano Baldini, the 2004 Olympic Marathon champion, was to make his final competitive appearance in the race, but a recurring strained tendon injury kept him from the start line.
Organisers for the IAAF
Leading results -
1. Edwin Soi, KEN 28:45.9
2. Wilson Businiei, UGA 28:47.7
3. Sergey Lebid, UKR 28:48.3
4. Philip Langat, KEN 28:49.0
5. Gerbretsedik Adhiana, ETH 28:53.0
6. Andrea Lalli, ITA 28:54.5
7. Elisha Meli, KEN 28:56.3
8. Paul Kimugul, KEN 29:01.8
9. Cosimo Caliandro, ITA 29:15.3
10. Ahmed El Mazoury, ITA 29:40.8
- Edwin Soi takes his second consecutive victory at the Giro Al Sas (Giancarlo Colombo) © Copyright