- ENTRY RULES
- Only athletes aged 16 or 17 on 31 December 2009 (born in 1992 or 1993) may compete.
- A maximum of two athletes from any one Member Federation can compete in each event (with the exception of the Relays).
- Three athletes can initially be entered per event, provided each has achieved the Entry Standard, but only two will be allowed to compete.
- The maximum number of events that an athlete can compete in is two individual events plus the Relay. If the two individual events are Track Events, only one of these two individual races may be longer than 200m.
- Every Member Federation may enter one team for each relay race, composed by a maximum of six athletes. Any four athletes among those entered for the competition, whether for the relay or for any other event, may then be used in the composition of the team for the first round.
- Member Federations who have no male and/or female qualified athletes whom they wish to enter may enter one unqualified male athlete and/or one unqualified female athlete in one event of the Championships (except the Combined Events).
- Member Federations who have no male and/or female qualified athlete but whose best athlete excels in a field event, may submit to the IAAF, by the time of the Preliminary Entry deadline, the name(s) of their athlete(s) plus performance(s) they would like to enter in the field events. The Technical Delegates will make the final decision and, to do so, may seek the opinion of the relevant Area Association.
- If the host country of the World Championships does not have an athlete qualified in an event, it may enter one athlete in these events regardless of any entry standard.
- CONDITIONS FOR VALIDITY OF PERFORMANCES
- All performances must be achieved during the period 1 January 2008 to 22 June 2009.
- All performances must be achieved during an official competition organised in conformity with IAAF Rules.
- All performances must be achieved during competitions organised or sanctioned by the IAAF, its Area Associations or its Member Federations. Thus, results achieved at school competitions must be certified by the Member Federation of the country in which the competition was organised.
- Performances in mixed competitions held under IAAF Rules 1.1 (i) and (j), and at events sanctioned by Area Associations or Member Federations, will be accepted for the purposes of satisfying the entry standards.
- Wind assisted performances (over 2m/sec) will not be accepted.
- Indoor performances will be accepted however, for the running events of 400m and over, performances achieved on over-sized tracks will not be accepted.